Mrs Ethelston's offers a high standard of education within a caring and Christian setting. It is important to us that our children leave us as well-rounded, reflective and confident individuals, who achieve their full potential. Children should enjoy school, feeling safe to take on new challenges and experience learning in a variety of ways. We are all very proud of our unique school and welcome you to visit us. Please browse our website or contact us if you would like further information.
Miss Lyons - Head of School
Mrs Ethelston’s Church of England Primary Academy is situated in the lovely village of Uplyme, which adjoins Lyme Regis. We have close links with other schools in both Dorset and Devon, and we are a feeder school to The Woodroffe School. We make the most of our rural location with visits around the local area, and are also proud to be part of the Jurassic Coast and the many unique learning opportunities this provides.
Mrs Ethelston’s has close and happy links with St Peter and St Pauls Church and is very much a community school and although the children come from a fairly wide area, they are encouraged to feel involved in village life. There are many links with the village of Uplyme creating a real partnership with the local community.
The School is named after Mrs Anne Ethelston, who was born in 1799, and was the wife of the Reverend Charles Wicksted Ethelston.
After her death in 1854, Reverend Ethelston decided to erect a building in his wife's memory to house the already existing school. Sadly, the main building was not opened until 1873, a year after Reverend Ethelston's death.
Deep Christian roots,
Nurturing strong growth,
We are a Christian school, at the heart of our community, working to enable children to grow creatively and to achieve their best in a happy and secure environment.
- We are a Christian family at the heart of our community.
- We believe in a school founded on our core Christian values of love, peace, perseverance, friendship, good choices and celebrating life.
- We believe in developing each child spiritually, morally and socially within a Christian context, helping each child to consider their own attitudes, values and beliefs.
- We believe in forging a partnership with parents, the local parish and the wider community.
- We celebrate good things.
- We believe children deserve a relevant, rich and challenging curriculum, which is carefully planned and well taught, so that they can experience success and learn to persevere.
- We believe children should develop their creative abilities enabling them to have enquiring flexible minds.
- We believe in celebrating the talents of each unique individual, who is created in God’s image, developing children’s self esteem and confidence.
- We are all different.
- We believe in celebrating and valuing different cultures, beliefs and abilities, so that everyone is valued equally.
- We believe that every child should achieve their full potential.
- We aim high.
- We believe that children, staff and governors should aspire to the highest possible standards in all aspects of school life.
- We keep happy, healthy and safe
- We believe that children are entitled to the very best learning experience we can offer in a secure, loving and respectful atmosphere.
As Christian schools, our core Christian values lie at the heart of all we do. They are;
- Celebrating life
- Good choices
Each school has its own distinctive ethos. Our ethos statement has been developed with our ethos committee made up of staff, children, governors and parents.